The digestive tract is one of the body’s main areas of defence to deal with foreign microbes and irritants of all kinds once they have been swallowed. Their body's natural mechanisms work to get rid of the foreign matter by increasing the muscle contractions of the intestines and flushing out the bowels.
Sudden diarrhea in a healthy pet is usually the result of eating something bad, a sudden diet change, or stress. In this case, the diarrhea is usually easy to treat or clears up with time. However, chronic diarrhea can have several different causes, including serious conditions and diseases:
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Certain types of parasites
- Bacterial infection
- Pancreatic disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Forms of cancer
- Liver failure and heart disease
The difference between mild diarrhea and a genuine cause for concern occurs when your pets' loose stools are accompanied by vomiting, loss of appetite, weight loss, abdominal pain, lethargy, and other symptoms of disease. With these additional symptoms, it may be time to take your pet straight to the vet. This is especially true for very young, very old, or pets with health issues, as even mild diarrhea can become a debilitating condition.
However, when it comes to mild diarrhea there are several home remedies to get your pet back to normal. Encourage your dog to drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. You can provide homemade meat broth as this is often readily lapped up by most animals. You may also choose to supplement your pets' diets with an herbal formula created to specifically correct digestive imbalances.
Pet Wellbeing’s Diarrhea Emergency kit includes BM Tone-Up Gold and Ultimate Probiotic 9 Strains to maintain normal, solid stools and promote good digestion.
What is BM Tone-Up Gold?
This all-natural supplement is uniquely designed to support pets' digestive systems when there is occasional imbalance. BM Tone-Up Gold supplies botanical ingredients (called herbal "astringents") to naturally tighten and tone the bowel lining. The result helps keep your pets comfortable and, hopefully, your carpet cleaner.
Whether there has been dietary indiscretion or there is another common cause for the imbalance to the digestive system, BM Tone-Up Gold combines support to both the immune system and the gastrointestinal tract. The results should be a more normal transit time of food and water through the gut, less frequent urges, and solid bowel movements.
What is Probiotic 9 Strains?
This is a high potency probiotic supplement for pets, supplying nine different strains of probiotics with added prebiotics. Ultimate Probiotic 9 Strains contains beneficial strains specific for dogs and cats, at a highly effective potency.
Beneficial bacteria exist throughout the bodies of humans and animals, vital to our existence, and regulate numerous physiological processes. Throughout life, there are many things we come into contact with that can harm this microbiome or microflora. Medications, infections, environmental toxins and unhealthy foods can all put stress on these “good” bacteria.
Ingesting beneficial bacteria through foods and supplements supports the microbiome to stay strong and healthy. Probiotic bacteria are a normal and necessary part of the body's natural defence against harmful pathogens. Without these beneficial bacteria, the body is less resistant to infections, has difficulty digesting foods, and displays less neurological stability.
- Ensure that your pets have constant access to fresh water.
- Note that bowel changes may also be a sign of food intolerance, sensitivity or allergy.
- Be sure your pet is not overeating.
- Do not feed your pets spoiled food.
- Remove access to garbage or toxic substances.
- If the condition persists or becomes severe, seek veterinary assistance immediately.
How to Administer Diarrhea Emergency Kit
BEST way to give drops! Add to food. Add drops to a small portion of a favourite food or treat and ensure the entire amount is consumed.
BM Tone-Up Gold
Administer product orally twice daily. Give one drop for every 2 lb (1 kg) of body weight. Over 50 lb, add one drop per 4 lb (2 kg). Shake well before use.
*Please note: this dosage is a recommendation and it is advised to increase or decrease the dose to suit the needs of your pets. Every animal will react uniquely, and it is safe to increase or decrease the dose gradually, as needed, provided that bowel movements are still occurring.
BM Tone-Up Gold is enhanced with delicious natural bacon flavor. We recommend administration of the drops in a way that your pets will like best. Add to food and ensure all food is consumed.
Use With Caution
Not to be used during pregnancy. Do not use if animal is constipated. If the animal's condition worsens or does not improve, stop product administration and consult your veterinarian. Do not use with laxatives or blood-thinners. Doses significantly higher than recommended dose may cause kidney irritation. Absorption of drugs taken at the same time may be delayed. An examination from a veterinarian is recommended prior to using this product.
Ultimate Probiotic 9 Strains Feeding Directions
Mix with food or sprinkle on top.
Under 40 lb, give one scoop daily.
40 lb and over, give two scoops daily.
For animal use only. Keep out of reach of children and animals. Store in a cool, dry place under 70 F (21 C) and refrigerate after opening.
BM Tone-Up Gold Contains:
- Oregon Grape root (Berberis aquifolium): This common, North American herb has specific uses in the digestive system. It assists the normal function of the liver to pull toxicities from the blood as it passes through the liver. It also supports the muscles of the intestines to contract in a normal, smooth rhythm that is not spastic or uncomfortable.
- Red Raspberry leaf (Rubus idaeus): One of the main herbs to tone and astringe the smooth lining of the intestines due to its tannin content. It may also work to normalize excess secretions, such as mucous. It is high in minerals and contains a naturally-occurring amount of Vitamin C. This gentle herb’s action on the muscles makes it useful for erratic muscle contractions.
- Bayberry root (Myrica cerifera): A leading herb for this formula, Bayberry has a dual action to address potential microbes that may have entered the body through dietary indiscretion. It also has a high tannin content, making it an herbal astringent. Bayberry helps support the digestive tract tissues when there is excessive mucous production.
- Mullein leaf (Verbascum thapsus): With uses in many different areas of the body, Mullein’s inclusion in this formula is to impart an action on the lining and muscles of the gastrointestinal tract. Additionally, it has been used for lymphatic circulation and to break down excess mucous production in the body.
- Agrimony herb (Agrimonia eupatoria): Another plant containing tannins (astringent). Agrimony supports the digestive tract’s normal tone and assimilation of food.
- Marshmallow root (Althea officinalis): The root of this plant contains high mucilage content and it is this constituent that provides a soothing action to the mucous membranes.
- Myrrh resin (Commiphora mol-mol): Due to its strong taste, only a small amount can be used in this formula, but its inclusion is exceedingly helpful for dogs when foreign microbes enter the body.
- Thyme leaf (Thymus vulgaris): A common kitchen herb, a small amount of Thyme combines well with Myrrh to address similar types of issues.
- Ginger rhizome (Zingiber officinalis): In many formulas, the addition of a little Ginger increases the formula’s ability to circulate where it is most needed. It also helps with nausea and digestion.
...400 mg per ml (20 drops/ml)
Herbs are certified organic or ethically wild harvested.Inactive Ingredients:
- Deionized water
- Natural bacon flavor
- Vegetable glycerin
Ultimate Probiotic 9 Strains Contains:
Moisture (max.) ....................................................................... 6.0%
*Total microorganisms .......................... not less than 5 billion CFU
(Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus brevis, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Streptococcus thermophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis/longum)
*FOS (Fructooligosaccharides) ............................................. 1000 mg
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog or Cat Food Nutrient Profiles
Contains a source of live (viable) naturally occurring microorganisms.
Fructooligosaccharides, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus salivarius fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus rhamnosus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus brevis fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, dried Streptococcus thermophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium lactis/longum fermentation product.
Meet Dr. Janice Huntingford
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for 28 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities.